Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday Evening Gumbo

I like to make a big Sunday night dinner and this week's menu was Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. I started off by smoking two Andouille link sausages and 4 chicken thighs on the egg.

Once I had the egg going with the meat, I started on the roux. I combined cooking oil and flour to make the roux which cooks for 4 minutes on high heat and then you reduce it to medium heat and have to constantly stir it for 15 minutes....15 minutes doesn't seem like a long time but try stirring for 15 minutes, it seems like an eternity. Next you mix the roux and chicken broth together and then you add onion, celery, okra, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, chicken, and sausage. Once everything is combined it needs to cook for about 5 hours.
I finished it with wild rice. Great flavor and very filling, I'm now in a food coma as I type this.

No comments:

Post a Comment