Sunday, August 2, 2009

Borderline Brisket Disaster

I decided I was going to do a brisket Friday to get ready for a competition in KC next month. I got a large brisket from Costco and trimmed it and rubbed it Friday night for an overnight smoke. When I fired up the egg it was very calm outside and there was NO wind. Because of the conditions I opened up the air flow gauge more than I normally would to allow the egg to get up to 230-240. I put the brisket on about 9:30pm, checked it about 10:45, and everything was looking good....235 degrees.
I woke up around 3:30 to howling winds outside. I ran down to the deck to check out the temp and sure enough the wind had raised the temp on the egg all the way up to about 700 degrees. I have no idea how long it had been this hot but the internal temp on the brisket was 235 degrees, about 45 degrees over what I wanted it to be....boy did I have some choice words for the freaking wind.

To salvage the brisket I took it off the egg, wrapped it in foil with Head Country Marinade, and let it rest for about 2 hours. To my amazement, it didn't taste too bad although it was a little on the dry side.

No comments:

Post a Comment